Wireless cameras can most certainly work without the internet and in more ways than one. While, no doubt, the wifi can make surveillance more seamless, if you want to go for a cheaper, safer, and hassle-free approach, you have a handful of options at your disposal; some of them are even better than hanging your hopes on a proper internet connection.
Read on to know what are some of the alternatives that you can consider adopting.
Check here the best cellular security camera this year.
Wireless Cameras without the Internet
CCTV cameras, one of the most popular devices for public and personal surveillance, and wireless cameras can all function without the internet. Before we dive into the ways in which the devices can operate as a separate entity, let’s do a quick recap on the perks of operating surveillance cams without the internet.
- You don’t have to rely on a seamless internet connection and find yourself in a pickle when for some reason, your router stops receiving signals. You can also view the recordings remotely. (1)
- You are infinitely less prone to hacking and other cybercrime, which are pretty common on the internet. It’s pretty hard to intercept or infiltrate surveillance cameras that are not functioning over an internet connection. So, not using the wifi is an exponentially safer approach to keeping a watchful eye. (2)
- In some cases, you don’t even need a power source. Thus, in case your house or office experiences a power outage, fret not because it’s likely that the security cameras alternative that you’ve gone for can function even when there is no power for a short period of time.
Cellular Security Cameras: Cellular security cams are the finest alternatives to wireless cameras that use the internet to function. These nifty devices do not need wifi, as they operate on the mobile network, just like cell phones do. As long as a region has a decent cell reception, which is quite common these days, the surveillance cameras can function without a hitch. Moreover, for these, you don’t even require a power source, as they use batteries to run. In case of a blackout, it will use its backup power. You can also view the footage from a remote location without the internet. This feature alone makes it a fantastic option to go for.
Hardwired Camera: Although these are not wireless, they can operate without an internet connection too. However, there are certain limitations to using these. For one, while the camera will roll with no internet and capture the events happening in front of its lens just fine, the footage that it records can only be accessed via the internet. To view the recordings, you’d need wifi. Moreover, these can also prove to be a little hard to install. But the major upside of this is, hacking such a system is difficult. Over the internet, it is simple to infiltrate a security system, but since this way, you will be recording offline, there is no need for you to break out in a cold sweat, thinking your security cams have been breached.
Wireless cameras have made our lives truly easier. And now, as a cherry on the top, they can also run without the internet. In fact, using cameras that roll offline is infinitely safer and more seamless than the ones that don’t. So, when you think about it, devices like cellular security cameras are the ones that deserve your money. These are easy to use and hardly pose any security risks whatsoever. Moreover, they don’t even come with the baggage of tricky installation. Just ensure to do your research before you pick your ideal cell security camera.
You may also want to check this learning guide on how does a cellular trail camera work.
(1) seamless internet connection - https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3341162.3349315
(2) cybercrime - https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/threats/what-is-cybercrime
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?